According to a survey done by the Pew Research Center whose results were published in November 2021, 16% of Americans indicated they personally have invested in, traded or otherwise used virtual currency . Additionally, the number of people investing in or engaging in transactions involving virtual currency continue to increase. These statistics strongly suggest that tax preparers must be aware of the nature of virtual currency and its tax treatment. It’s to provide that awareness that Tax Treatment of Virtual Currency was written. This is a basic tax course with no prerequisites, and qualifies for 2 CE credits in the IRS Federal Tax Law category.
- recognize the methods of obtaining and storing virtual currency
- describe how transactions involving virtual currency work
- understand the basic nature of blockchains
- apply the existing U.S. tax laws to virtual currency transactions
- identify when and where to report taxable virtual currency events and transactions
- Study each Chapter
- Answer review questions at the end of each chapter
- Pass the Final Exam with a score of 70 percent or better
Final Exam and Certification
The final exam consists of 10 multiple-choice questions on the information covered in the course materials. To receive credit for this course, you must click on the Exam below to initiate the exam. A passing score of 70 percent or better will receive course credit and a Certificate of Completion.
- Download Course Materials <–To Download this file to your computer, Right-click the link and chose “Save File As”