Important: This course provides 8-Hrs of continuing education credits in the IRS Federal Tax Law category. If you wish to obtain the Annual Filing Season Program Record of Completion, do not take this course. The name of this course can be easily mixed up with another course offered on this website, please note the differences in the names to be sure you are registering for the correct course:
- “Annual Tax Season Update“ – Provides 8 CE credits in the Federal Tax Law category (Designed for EA’s)
- “Annual Federal Tax Refresher“ – Provides 6 CE credits in the AFTR category (Not for EA’s)
Each year, income tax return preparation must take into account inflation-related changes to various limits and new tax laws. This course will look at those changes and new laws. The Annual Tax Season Update course is designed to provide valuable information to persons preparing clients’ individual 1040 income tax returns. The course a) examines new tax legislation and changes in various limits that reflect inflation, b) provides a general tax review, and c) discusses important rules governing tax return preparer ethics, practices and procedures. This is a basic tax course with no prerequisites, and qualifies for 8 CE credits in the IRS Federal Tax Law category.
- Identify the principal individual income tax changes brought about by recent tax legislation;
- Apply the inflation-adjusted and other limits to the proper preparation of taxpayers’ income tax returns;
- Recognize the federal income tax filing statuses and the criteria for their use;
- Identify the types of income that must be recognized;
- Apply the tax rules to the various credits and adjustments to income that are available to taxpayers;
- Recognize the penalties that may be imposed on a preparer for failing to meet ethical and practice standards in preparing tax returns; and
- Identify the duties and restrictions imposed on tax preparers under Circular 230.
- Study each Chapter
- Answer review questions at the end of each chapter
- Pass the Final Exam with a score of 70 percent or better
Final Exam and Certification
The final exam consists of 40 multiple-choice questions on the information covered in the course materials. To receive credit for this course, you must click on the Exam below to initiate the exam. A passing score of 70 percent or better will receive course credit and a Certificate of Completion.
- Download Course Materials <–To Download this file to your computer, Right-click the link and chose “Save File As”