As of January 1, 2018 the exam is longer available for this course due to IRS requirements. The course was to be completed by December 31, 2017 11:59pm local time of the student.
The IRS Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP) is a voluntary program for tax return preparers. It aims to recognize the efforts of non-credentialed return preparers who aspire to a higher level of professionalism. By achieving this AFSP Record of Completion, though not required, you will have the privilege of having your name listed on the IRS Federal Directory of Tax Preparers if you choose to. The course below is the 6-hour Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course (AFTR), which is just part of the overall AFSP. If you wish to obtain the full AFSP, additional courses may be required depending on if you are an Exempt or Non-Exempt preparer. More information about the Annual Filing Season Program, Exempt and Non-Exempt preparers, and CE Requirements can be found in the following links:
How and when will I get my Record of Completion?
After you complete your continuing education and renew your PTIN for the upcoming year, you will receive an email from TaxPro_PTIN@irs.gov with instructions on how to elect to participate and receive your record of completion in your online secure mailbox.
If you don’t have an online PTIN account, you will receive a letter from the IRS with instructions for completing the process and obtaining your record of completion.
IRS Program Number: YH9W1-A-00028-17-S
CE Credits: 6 hours – (This course does not provide CE credits for Enrolled Agents)
IRS Category: Annual Federal Tax Refresher
Delivery Type: Online Self-Study
Exam: 100 Question, 3-hour Timed Exam (Only 4 attempts are allowed for this exam)
**AFTR course Final Exam must be successfully passed by midnight 12/31/2017 (local time of the student)
This self-study course follows IRS guidelines pertaining to the Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) program. Three Domains are covered: Domain 1 New Tax Law, Domain 2 General Review of Taxes, and Domain 3 Practices, Procedures and Professional Responsibility. This is a 6-Hr tax course designed for an individual with prior tax preparation experience. This course qualifies for 6 CE credit hours in IRS Category Annual Federal Tax Refresher.
**If you wish to participate in the Annual Filing Season Program, you will need to log into your PTIN account and sign the Circular 230 Consent statement in order to participate in the Annual Filing Season Program. For steps on how to complete the consent, see the instructional video in the upper right corner of the Annual Filing Season Program web page on IRS.gov at: https://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Annual-Filing-Season-Program
- Apply the inflation-adjusted and other limits to the proper preparation of taxpayers’ income tax returns;
- Calculate taxpayers’ additional tax liability resulting from any individual shared responsibility payment;
- Recognize the federal income tax filing statuses and the criteria for their use;
- Identify the types of income that must be recognized;
- Apply the tax rules to the various credits and adjustments to income available to taxpayers;
- Recognize the penalties that may be imposed on a preparer for failing to meet ethical and practice standards in preparing tax returns; and
- Identify the duties and restrictions imposed on tax preparers under Circular 230.
- Study all 3 Domains
- Pass the Final Exam with a score of 70 percent or better
- Answer a short Course Evaluation
- <Course Materials Removed (Out-dated)> If you would like a copy of this course materials for your reference, please reach out to us by email and we will reply with the course materials as an attached PDF file.